Welcome to the interactive North Carolina Wetland Mapping and Analysis Program web application, NCWetMAP
. This site is designed to explore, investigate, and analyze the North Carolina (and some of South Carolina) wetland monitoring sites and surrounding wetland related geographic data. Chosen geographic data layers are provided as analysis inputs to assess the area environmental characteristics for chosen wetlands of study. Included geographic data, information, and tools are designed with wetland monitoring site related data in mind.
Many features are available, organized and integrated across the following six tabs: Data, Select, Buffers, Query, NLCD, MapSketch, and Tools. Click the arrow at the top of the Data, Maps, and Tools expandable pane left of the map to use.
For easier exploration and analysis without clutter, it is highly recommended
to first zoom into an area of interest, then turn on desired data layers.
- Click-drag to pan map.
- Scroll mouse wheel to zoom in or out.
- The zoom tool at the upper-left map corner can also be used to zoom in or out.
- Click the NC icon to return to the original map extent.
- To quickly zoom to a specific area, hold down the Shift key while left-click-dragging the mouse to define a box on the map you want to be zoomed to. Release the left mouse button after defining the area and you will be zoomed in to that location.
- Use the built-in Search tool at the upper-left of the map to find an address or place. Map will zoom in to the location with a marker and info popup window with more choices.
- Use the Zoom To… tool at the upper-right of the map to select from a list of counties and be quickly zoomed to the extent of your chosen county.
- Besides using the right and left scroll arrows, Tabs can also be selected from a dropdown list by clicking on the arrow to the far right.
Various basemaps are available from a toggleable list.
Wetlands Monitoring Sites and related geographic Data Layers can be toggled on/off.
Weather related Data Layers are available.
Additional basemaps with extra information are available.
Transparency for some Data Layers can be adjusted with these sliders:
Information about a Wetlands Monitoring Site is available by clicking your mouse on a site symbol.
Interactively select a single or group of Wetlands Monitoring Sites. Selected data can be saved to a table locally.
Interactively select by buffer, with a chosen distance and measure unit, any of the Wetlands Monitoring Sites. Selected data can be saved to a table locally. The first line inside the buffer indicates half the entered distance. The second line inside the buffer indicates a quarter of the entered distance.
This is the Select by Attributes tool. Attributes from the Wetland Monitoring Sites Data Layer can be used to build query statements and make selections. Only selected sites will appear in the map. Options to create a new selection, add to current selection, or remove from current selection are available. Query statements can also be saved and loaded for repeated use within the same web session. Selected data based on a query result can be saved to a table locally.
This tab allows for interactive National Land Cover Database area analysis for impervious surfaces and the full land cover classifications. Dynamic, interactive charts area created along with percent land cover for custom buffers and polygon areas created on demand.
A variety of graphics, measurements, buffers, and text can be added and edited on the map.
Enter a map title, choose from several page formats, and print the current map to a downloadable PDF, JPG, GIF, SVG, EPS, PNG8, or PNG32 file.
Measure areas, distances, capture location coordinates on the map.
Create an interactive elevation profile.
View StreetView imagery wherever StreetView coverage is available.
Multiple buffer graphics can remain on the map until removed using the clear buffers button. This means in the Buffer Tab, multiple buffers can be drawn, revealing selected data located within buffer intersections. This data can then be reselected interactively with tools in the Select Tab
- Toggle Table buttons may have to be clicked twice to initially activate.
- Tables are synced to selected features. Click a record in the first column to see the corresponding feature highlighted on the map and be zoomed in closer. Click column header to clear highlight symbol.
- When zoomed in the map close enough, labels for Counties, HUC8, and HUC12 features will appear.
- Many buttons have tooltips.